I provide Search Engine Optimization Expert Witness Services (that is, SEO Expert Witness services) in legal cases involving SEO technology or business.
I’ve been working in Search Engine Optimization for many years, since at least 1999 (I began working on the Internet starting in 1993, when I wrote the Complete Idiot’s Guide to the Internet). I’m the author of the best-selling SEO book, Search Engine Optimization for Dummies: I wrote the first edition in 2003, and have written 6 more editions since then (the most recent edition–now called SEO for Dummies–was published late in 2019). I’ve also provided SEO consulting services to many different firms, including Zillow, Amazon, Avvo, Dunn & Bradstreet, Honey Baked Ham, Lonely Planet, and literally hundreds of smaller companies.
As for my Search Engine Optimization Expert Witness services, I’ve worked on numerous cases over the years, such as:
- Bradley S. Cohen v. Ross B. Hansen, Northwest Territorial Mint, S. Firebaugh
The use of Search Engine Optimization in order to boost defamatory Web sites in the search results. I testified at trial as an SEO Expert Witness. My client won a $38M judgement.
- Louis Bacon v. Peter Nygård
Defendant allegedly used Search Engine Optimization to defame Plaintiff.
- IPR (Inter Partes Review) of U.S. Patents 8,478,746, 8,135,706, 8,478,700
Search Engine Optimization software patents.
- HoneyBaked Ham Co, Inc v Honey Baked Ham, LLC
Search Engine Optimization, PPC, and Google Shopping issues.
- International Metaphysical Ministry v. Wisdom of The Heart Church
Defendant accused of “black hat” Search Engine Optimization that damaged Plaintiff.
- ZipfWorks, Inc. v. PromoCodeWatch, LLC
Alleged theft of Search Engine Optimization-related trade secrets.
- Unimed International, Inc. v. Dermagist, Inc., et al.
SEO issues related to a sham-review Web site disparaging Plaintiff.
- Select Comfort Corporation v. John Baxter & Dires, LLC d/b/a Touch Beds & Personal Comfort Beds
I worked as a Search Engine Optimization Expert Witness in this case looking at both SEO and PPC issues related to use of Plaintiff’s mark.
- The Universal Church v. The Universal Life Church/ULC Monastery et al
The use of Plaintiff’s marks in various Web-site elements for SEO purposes.
- Karl D. Shehu and Shehu LLC, v. William Adams et al
Related to Plaintiff’s Search Engine Optimization practices.
- DR Distributors, LLC v. 21 Smoking, Inc. et al
The use of Search Engine Optimization keywords in meta tags.
- Quia Corporation v. Mattel, Inc.
SEO effects of Defendant’s use of Plaintiff’s trademark.
- International Oddities Inc v. Brian Petruzzi et al.
Use of Plaintiff’s trademark throughout Defendant’s Web sites.
- Margae, Inc v. Clear Link Technologies, LLC.
Defendant refused to pay this Search Engine Optimization-service firm’s bill.
I have worked in the area of Search Engine Optimization for over 20 years. In addition to SEO for Dummies (7 editions since 2003), I have also created three video courses on Search Engine Optimization running on Lynda.com/LinkedIn Learning, and my Search Engine Optimization course on Udemy.com is one of the top the top-ranked SEO courses, with over 30,000 students.
Find out about Peter Kent’s Search Engine Optimization Experience here.